Skip to main content

#OGAM 2015 first post

OGAM stands for One Game a Month, and is an ongoing challenge  to help encourage developers to actually produce stuff, and enjoy doing it.

I've had a busy year which sort of scuppered my 2014 plans for OGAM... I left Jisc, joined the University of Brighton, and started an MSc in Computer Science.
Whilst I've done lots of interesting things, I do really miss game development, and am going to give the OGAM things another go.

On Christmas Day I played a bunch of iOS games I'd bought ages ago and never even looked at... Yearwalk, and The Room, and Device 6, and I thought I can do that... I can build that style of game, and I can certainly create eerie atmospheric graphics... and It would make a difference to the usual simple arcade games.
So I looked up the Corona SDK documentation for the Composer API, which replaced the old Storyboard API, and what do you know... they've gone and built a Beta Composer scene manager, that looks pretty bloomin' useful.

So here's the first post for January's effort, the OGAM Theme is RESOLUTION, and I'll try and build something that means I can re-use the graphics and other assets I cobbled together for the #24HCD story I did in in 2012

It may turn into a family affair again - Dom is currently studying film production and seems at home making complex sound effects with Adobe... Sound Effects maker, or whatever it's called... and I could get Adam to compose some eerie background music (which might arrive sometime in 2017?).

I'm going to have a play with Composer Scene editor, and then look at some suitable fonts... might finally get round to making my own font to embed in the game.

Popular posts from this blog


Spine again - animating game assets

Laura Tallarday gave a neat demo of how to build an animation in Spine on the CoronaGeek Hangout, so I had a bash at chopping up an image and animating it.
The plan is to add some more sophisticated animations to the new game "Duck sized horse".. but as was discussed in the show adding a whole bunch of spine animated objects might hammer a mobile device... and as the aim is to have 100 tiny duck sized horses, I'd best choose another approach for them.

anyway here's a swaying viking...

Using Corona SDK

Corona Architecture Overview
Diagram showing the Corona SDK architecture -source Walter Lua - CEO Corona The development process. I built the game "Ninja Dinosaurs vs Pirate Robots" in a series of 4 development sprints. I used a familiar game format, the "Infinite Runner" to guide the overall structure, and built the game using the Agile development methodology and Simplicity principle: "simplicity: write the simplest code to do the job, do not provide hooks in your code for ‘future needs" - this prevents scope creep. Studies by Jones (2009) have shown that Agile is most effective with small teams. Agile focuses on swift iterative cycles creating instances of working code, which are constantly reviewed and guided by the end users rather than a rigid commitment to a fixed system architecture. It values working code over heavy documentation, as might be encountered in a more traditional waterfall development approach.
Game Summary. Whilst the game is an inf…