Skip to main content

Back to life

I haven't worked on the game for MONTHS, and since I left it in development limbo we've had a new version of iOS, and the library I used to handle scenes in Corona has been deprecated...twice... as has the sprite library, and the Corona graphics engine has been completely revised.
All of which means the original NDvsPR was a bit borken, reinforcing my prejudices about using frameworks which dictate the pace of change. That said I finally got round to spending an evening tweaking stuff and it all seems to be working ok, in some form of legacy mode.
So the plan is to replace the audio which was pinched from AleStorm with some suitably salty sea-dog accordion playing. (Originally Adam was going to write some music, but it never materialised. However as he borrowed an accordion from the hackspace he was quite happy to knock out a version of "Drunken Sailor")



I've redone all the provisioning profiles and certificates and tested on my ipad, and it seems ok. I've run the meters in Lua Glider and it isn't leaking memory... so next step will be to get a distribution certificate and submit it to the iTunes store and the Google store.


I've been sketching a new icon this afternoon, and think a pirate flag might be in order..





Popular posts from this blog

live

Spine again - animating game assets

Laura Tallarday gave a neat demo of how to build an animation in Spine on the CoronaGeek Hangout, so I had a bash at chopping up an image and animating it.
The plan is to add some more sophisticated animations to the new game "Duck sized horse".. but as was discussed in the show adding a whole bunch of spine animated objects might hammer a mobile device... and as the aim is to have 100 tiny duck sized horses, I'd best choose another approach for them.

anyway here's a swaying viking...




Using Corona SDK

Corona Architecture Overview
Diagram showing the Corona SDK architecture -source Walter Lua - CEO Corona The development process. I built the game "Ninja Dinosaurs vs Pirate Robots" in a series of 4 development sprints. I used a familiar game format, the "Infinite Runner" to guide the overall structure, and built the game using the Agile development methodology and Simplicity principle: "simplicity: write the simplest code to do the job, do not provide hooks in your code for ‘future needs" - this prevents scope creep. Studies by Jones (2009) have shown that Agile is most effective with small teams. Agile focuses on swift iterative cycles creating instances of working code, which are constantly reviewed and guided by the end users rather than a rigid commitment to a fixed system architecture. It values working code over heavy documentation, as might be encountered in a more traditional waterfall development approach.
Game Summary. Whilst the game is an inf…