Skip to main content

#1GAM Black and White Breakout and a Flappy clone

I actually made a game in January, chiefly to see if I could get my head around the Graphics 2.0 setup  in Corona SDK...
I struggled but did manage to make something that worked, a very pared back and iOS7 looking version of Breakout, with ridiculously thin text, and a ball that is a mere dot.
Well it amused me...what was interesting was the difference in font names, and what is actually available, and/or visible. I started with Ultra Thin fonts, but my old iPad 2 couldn't render them properly, which is a shame.

SO what about February?
Well I'm not using any language or frameworks that might be useful for my new job as originally anticipated, but sticking with Corona SDK, and Lua, and following the Mark Falkland tutorial on building a  Flappy Bird clone  mainly because it looks like it will clarify the differences between Storyboard and Composer, which is the new Corona scene manager.
So I might have a go at "Flappy ninja dinosaur" or "jetpack Pirate robot"... whatever I should come away with a clearer view of the future of Corona.

Popular posts from this blog


Spine again - animating game assets

Laura Tallarday gave a neat demo of how to build an animation in Spine on the CoronaGeek Hangout, so I had a bash at chopping up an image and animating it.
The plan is to add some more sophisticated animations to the new game "Duck sized horse".. but as was discussed in the show adding a whole bunch of spine animated objects might hammer a mobile device... and as the aim is to have 100 tiny duck sized horses, I'd best choose another approach for them.

anyway here's a swaying viking...

Using Corona SDK

Corona Architecture Overview
Diagram showing the Corona SDK architecture -source Walter Lua - CEO Corona The development process. I built the game "Ninja Dinosaurs vs Pirate Robots" in a series of 4 development sprints. I used a familiar game format, the "Infinite Runner" to guide the overall structure, and built the game using the Agile development methodology and Simplicity principle: "simplicity: write the simplest code to do the job, do not provide hooks in your code for ‘future needs" - this prevents scope creep. Studies by Jones (2009) have shown that Agile is most effective with small teams. Agile focuses on swift iterative cycles creating instances of working code, which are constantly reviewed and guided by the end users rather than a rigid commitment to a fixed system architecture. It values working code over heavy documentation, as might be encountered in a more traditional waterfall development approach.
Game Summary. Whilst the game is an inf…