Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from 2014

Gojira SMASH with Matter.js

+Jason Bailey gave me an article on Matter.js a Javascript physics engine created by Liam Brummitt.
The tutorial by @liabru creates a simple slingshot/angrybird type game.
I've had a play, and the engine is quite simple, and it's really refreshing to edit and review the changes directly in the browser without any build nonsense... though I must say it's made my old white macbook fans spin up a fair bit when I made a couple of duff calls and spawned hundreds of fireballs.

So here you have my copy of @liabru 's codes http://wychwolf.com/gojira/  *

https://re114code.azurewebsites.net/gojira/

For some reason the fireball release isn't clean, I think I need to adjust the release, respawn timing... I'd also like to add a bit more oomph to the fireballs, and some smoke particle effects, and some background music, and creature noises...maybe tomorrow.


*closed down my Laughing squid hosting which means a few scripts like this one have become un-homed. I have transferred …

New spine skellington

After the first draft I've had a go at creating a new skellington. So now it's back to photoshop,

Spinal tap - First attempt at using Esoteric Software's Spine app.

In NDvsPR I made the sprites by creating individual images of the characters in various positions  in photoshop, collating them as a sprite sheet  and referencing them using the sprite API.
Since the sprite API in Corona has been deprecated, and I'd already purchased a copy of Spine I thought it worth trying it out.
First step is to divide the image to be used into layers, one for each section, so Head, Right arm, Left arm etc...
There is a script that comes with Spine that exports the layers as individual .PNGs and a JSON file outlining their relative positions.

{"bones":[{"name":"root"}],"slots":[
{"name":"Tail_Tip","bone":"root","attachment":"Tail_Tip"},
{"name":"Tail_2","bone":"root","attachment":"Tail_2"},
{"name":"Tail_3","bone":"root","attachment":"Tail_3"},
{"…

Logo

looking at the iOS Human Interface Guidelines... retina devices require enormous icons...


Back to life

I haven't worked on the game for MONTHS, and since I left it in development limbo we've had a new version of iOS, and the library I used to handle scenes in Corona has been deprecated...twice... as has the sprite library, and the Corona graphics engine has been completely revised.
All of which means the original NDvsPR was a bit borken, reinforcing my prejudices about using frameworks which dictate the pace of change. That said I finally got round to spending an evening tweaking stuff and it all seems to be working ok, in some form of legacy mode.
So the plan is to replace the audio which was pinched from AleStorm with some suitably salty sea-dog accordion playing. (Originally Adam was going to write some music, but it never materialised. However as he borrowed an accordion from the hackspace he was quite happy to knock out a version of "Drunken Sailor")



I've redone all the provisioning profiles and certificates and tested on my ipad, and it seems ok. I've ru…

#1GAM Black and White Breakout and a Flappy clone

I actually made a game in January, chiefly to see if I could get my head around the Graphics 2.0 setup  in Corona SDK...
I struggled but did manage to make something that worked, a very pared back and iOS7 looking version of Breakout, with ridiculously thin text, and a ball that is a mere dot.
Well it amused me...what was interesting was the difference in font names, and what is actually available, and/or visible. I started with Ultra Thin fonts, but my old iPad 2 couldn't render them properly, which is a shame.


SO what about February?
Well I'm not using any language or frameworks that might be useful for my new job as originally anticipated, but sticking with Corona SDK, and Lua, and following the Mark Falkland tutorial on building a  Flappy Bird clone  mainly because it looks like it will clarify the differences between Storyboard and Composer, which is the new Corona scene manager.
So I might have a go at "Flappy ninja dinosaur" or "jetpack Pirate robot"…

#1GAM - One Game a Month - Jan 2014 - HTML5

No New Year resolutions... but new opportunities to learn.
I've signed up for the #1GAM challenge, as a way of helping get up to speed in the technologies I'm going to need in my new job, chiefly PHP, Java and HTML5.
Last year #1GAM was the spur to encourage the creation of a community of nearly 7000 developers, all of whom tried to develop and post a game a month, resulting in over 5000 games .



The theme for January is: RESPAWN, any platform, using any language, and the idea is to try and attempt iterative development, AND shipping code.
Shipping code has always been my downfall, I dally, I riddle and never get round to actually posting the finished product. Hopefully this will change.
So for my first attempt I'm going to go the easy route, and try an HTML5 app, and a simple game. I've downloaded the Intel XDK, which builds HTML 5 and then weirdly deploys as native apps, on a range of platforms.


I might try and port the Ninja Dinosaur vs Pirate Robot Game... or maybe …