Skip to main content

NDvsPR v7

Code refactoring removed a bunch of lardy duplicated code, slimming down the game.lua file to a positively skinny 732 lines of code. I then went through updating the sprites, so they looked better on the screen, and had a bit more motion.
Dom play tested the game and told me I needed to differentiate the ground more clearly from the background, so I did that... then I set to work on the other objects...
The attacking pirates now wave their cutlasses, the burning barrels crackle with flame, and the pirate cannon swings from side to side.
I have a temporary soundtrack from ALESTORM, and new improved sound effects created by me in garage band, and audacity, by blowing into the macbook microphone.
Finally I have sliders for the volume and difficulty level.

The list of tasks, features and bugs continues to grow, but this version is definitely far better... almost at the point where I'm happy to pop it in the Android play store... but the list of things to fix and add before that is still quite extensive....

I need to focus on the report side of the project now.

Popular posts from this blog


Spine again - animating game assets

Laura Tallarday gave a neat demo of how to build an animation in Spine on the CoronaGeek Hangout, so I had a bash at chopping up an image and animating it.
The plan is to add some more sophisticated animations to the new game "Duck sized horse".. but as was discussed in the show adding a whole bunch of spine animated objects might hammer a mobile device... and as the aim is to have 100 tiny duck sized horses, I'd best choose another approach for them.

anyway here's a swaying viking...

Using Corona SDK

Corona Architecture Overview
Diagram showing the Corona SDK architecture -source Walter Lua - CEO Corona The development process. I built the game "Ninja Dinosaurs vs Pirate Robots" in a series of 4 development sprints. I used a familiar game format, the "Infinite Runner" to guide the overall structure, and built the game using the Agile development methodology and Simplicity principle: "simplicity: write the simplest code to do the job, do not provide hooks in your code for ‘future needs" - this prevents scope creep. Studies by Jones (2009) have shown that Agile is most effective with small teams. Agile focuses on swift iterative cycles creating instances of working code, which are constantly reviewed and guided by the end users rather than a rigid commitment to a fixed system architecture. It values working code over heavy documentation, as might be encountered in a more traditional waterfall development approach.
Game Summary. Whilst the game is an inf…