Skip to main content

Posts

live

Recent posts

Beta Beater

The Google Developer Console is really very very good.
It's logically set out, and makes it super easy to run a Beta test.
I'm on the tenth iteration of the final draft, and think I've got to a point where I can actually promote the app to Production.
The latest revision changed the icon set, and removed a load more cruft, slimming the app down to just 12.14Mb. I could strip out the iOS icons and lose a few more bytes but the original aim way back when I started on this project was to build a simple game that could be deployed cross platform, so I think I'll try and maintain just one codebase... as I really should submit this to the iTunes store too, to close the project.



Spine again - animating game assets

Laura Tallarday gave a neat demo of how to build an animation in Spine on the CoronaGeek Hangout, so I had a bash at chopping up an image and animating it.
The plan is to add some more sophisticated animations to the new game "Duck sized horse".. but as was discussed in the show adding a whole bunch of spine animated objects might hammer a mobile device... and as the aim is to have 100 tiny duck sized horses, I'd best choose another approach for them.

anyway here's a swaying viking...




NDVSPR icons

I'm not good at icons.
I try and wedge too much into too tiny an area.
But I thought I'd try again.












I like both at 512pixels, but neither when they drop to icon size.

SO something even simpler?



That might just work.




Pending Publication

I spent a fair  bit of yesterday evening tweaking graphics and changing audio files, and eventually thought I'd generate a build key and  upload a version of NDvsPR  to the Google Play Store for Alpha testing...




No idea what happens next... I guess I should read the documentation. :)
What probably happens is I get a bunch of error codes saying I've left debugging on and whatnot.


apparently it made it through pending....


BOOM!... well BOOM! for Alpha and Beta testers...


hands up if you fancy being an Alpha tester? https://play.google.com/apps/testing/uk.co.tentaclegames.ndvspr 




updating the codes

I wrote the game Ninja Dinosaurs vs Pirate Robots a fair while ago and never got round to the final step of sticking it in either the android store or the itunes store.
It had a few things that needed finishing, and I just lost enthusiasm.
Recently I've had an urge to finish off things I've left undone. I managed to get the NDvsPR book completed and submitted to the Amazon Kindle store and the iTunes Store.



Since I wrote the game, Corona SDK has changed,  the scene manager "Director" was replaced by "Storyboard" and then by "Composer", the Graphics libraries changed making all my code legacy code, requiring graphicsCompatibility = 1, to be added to the config.lua file, and different anchor points.

I thought that patching probably wasn't going to hack it, but I had a look and found that the version I had was pretty near finished, and might be worth a punt.

So I opened the old pivotal tracker project and had a look at the actions, and actually c…

#OGAM 2015 - February - Maps

The theme for February in the One Game a Month challenge is "MAPS", a game with a map in is worth 250XP, and whilst I don't enter for points I do try to follow the theme.

At work I'm looking to convert some old PHP scripts into JSP that'll run inside our Hosted Blackboard instance, reducing the number of things to maintain... So I thought I'd practice my Java by finishing off a NetHack sort of thing I played with a couple of three years ago.

Reading the (fairly well documented) code, I have an idea of what I was trying to do... and it seems to run... it just needs a prettier interface.
[UPDATE- and a bit of debugging as it leaks like a sieve!]



run: World built from code ___ _ _ _ |_ | | | | | | | | | __ ___ ____ _| |_| | __ _ ___| | __ | |/ _` \ \ / / _` | _ |/ _` |/ __| |/ / /\__/ / (_| |\ V / (_| | | | | (_| | (__| < \____/ \__,_| \_/ \__,_\_| |_/\__,_|\___|_|\_\ …